What is M4R
Developed by Apple company, M4R, also called MPEG-4 Ringtone, is a audio file format used exclusively as ringtone in iPhone device and Its audio codec is AAC. You are allowed to customize and create the ringtone with the purchased songs from iTunes library which are converted from other audio formats, say, MP3 to M4R and then transferred to your iPhone. You can also rename the M4A files to M4R file extension and then sync to iPhone device using iTunes. With M4R, you are able to experience the high quality ringtone with reduced audio file size.
Related Article: How to Convert MP3 to Create M4R iPhone Ringtone
Facts about M4R
- The length of the M4R ringtone file should be within 40 seconds.
- Not every song from iTunes library can be converted to M4R as ringtone. You can only choose those songs that allow ringtone creation.
- As a matter of fact, M4R files are used to tell ringtone apart from songs in iPhone.
- Part of MPEG-4 group, M4R is equivalent to M4A.
What devices or program support M4R
- Since M4R belongs to Apple devices, limited applications are capable of running M4R files. Some devices which support M4R are listed below.
- All ISO devices with iTunes installed, including iPad, iPhone, iPod and MacBook and Windows computer with iTunes for Windows
- Media Player Classic Home Cinema
- Philips Songbird