How to Crack a Login Password on Windows 7 (Desktop & Laptop)
Updated on Apr 15, 2022 4:58 PM
Have you lost or forgotten your Windows 7 password on desktop or laptop? If you're stuck with an account with a password that you need to crack, you have quite a few different options. Here's how to do it, and save dozens of important documents in the locked machine. You should use these remedies wisely and responsibly only to crack password on Windows 7 computer you own.
Method 1: Use a Password Reset Disk
If you've created a password reset disk before you've come across the issue of Locked yourself out of the computer, you can pretty much crack password on Windows 7 computer without knowing the old password. You can also use this to crack local admin password of Windows 7 system, not just standard user account.
- Open the computer and type a password in password box as you normally would. When prompted an error, click OK.
- Then click "Reset password" link, and then insert password reset disk.
- Follow the on-screen instructions in Windows Password Wizard window to reset/ crack the password for Windows 7.
Method 2: With an 3rd-Party Application
If you can't crack Windows 7 password that way with a password reset disk, you can always use a third-party tool instead. One of the great choices is Spower Windows Password Reset program. And it's extremely simple to install it.
It's considered as a credible Windows 7 password cracker that can guarantee 99.99% helping crack Windows 7 computer password of any length and complexity easily and quickly, and eventually allows you gain full access to the operating system. The software uses a unique system to crack password you've forgot or lost in Windows 7, 8, 8.1 10, XP, etc. It will detect all users set on the system in an automatic way making the cracking of the password a simple process. All files on the computer you crack password in, are never overwritten or destroyed.
Now see how this tool works to crack the password on Windows 7 PC or laptop.
- Download the utility on an accessible computer and install it. Then fire it up.
- Insert an empty USB or CD/DVD into the computer and press USB device button (or CD/DVD button) to create a password reset disk.
- Take the disk out and insert it to the locked Windows 7 you're going to crack password for.
- Switch on the locked machine and boot it from burned password reset USB or CD/DVD. You need to do this in computer's Boot Menu or BIOS and set the disk as first order. References:
How to set Windows boot from USB
How to set Windows boot from CD/DVD
Command keys to enter BIOS
- Restart the computer and boot from the disk. Eventually you will get into the program window.
- Select an account you want to crack password, hit Reset button.
The software will crack password on Windows 7 and remove the password. When it's done, click Reboot button to start Windows 7 computer and access to desktop without login password.
Method 3: Crack Windows 7 Login Password With Ophcrack
Ophcrack is another Windows 7 password recovery software option available so you don't always have to change password for Windows 7 computer. It's free, but it won't be able to crack every password especially if it's length and complex.
- Navigate to Ophcrack website on another available computer and download ISO image file by clicking Download Ophcrack Live CD button, and then choosing "ophcrack Vista/7 LiveCD" option.
- After downloaded, you'll need to burn ISO file to a USB drive or a disc.
- Now that Ophcrack LiveCD disc or flash drive is created, insert it to the locked Windows 7 machine, and boot the computer from it. On some computers, you may need to change boot order to achieve this. See references in the guide of Spower Windows Password Reset.
- Then Ophcrack will start automatically and will begin cracking passwords for all users.
- It will take some time to do its business. When finishes, login to Windows 7 with the cracked password.
Method 4: Use Command Prompt to Crack a Windows 7 Password
A Windows 7 system repair CD/DVD or installation media is a good option for cracking a password on the Windows computer, when you forgot the login password and need access to the system. You'll need to do a bit of command line work, but as long as you follow the instructions closely you should be fine.
- Find or create either a system repair disk (how to create one) or installation disc (how to create one). You can make one if you can get into a Windows 7 system somewhere.
- Insert the disk to the Windows 7 computer you want to crack password for, and start the machine. You'll need to boot it from the disk via BIOS or Boot Menu.
- After it boots with the disk successfully, a screen appears, asking you to set your languages and input. You can leave everything in default, and click Next button.
- On the "Install Now" window, click "Repair your computer" link in the bottom-right corner. The computer will work in the background to search for all operating systems.
- Once that's finished, choose Windows 7 from the list of Operating System, and write down the drive letter of it. Click Next button to bring up Command Prompt window.
- Choose Command Prompt option. This will launch command prompt.
- Use the two commands in order, and press Enter after one. Replace the drive letter of "d:" with yours that just jot down.
copy d:\windows\system32\utilman.exe d:\
copy d:\windows\system32\cmd.exe d:\windows\system32\utilman.exe
- Remove the disk and reboot computer. On the login screen, press Shift key five times to run command prompt again. To crack a forgotten Windows 7 password, type:
net user examplename newpassword
- Again, replace examplename with the user account you're trying to crack and replace newpassword with any digital combinations. Press Enter and the original password of Windows 7 should be able to cracked.
- Revert command prompt changes to original state. Launch command prompt with the disk using the steps at the beginning, and perform the command and you're done:
copy d:\utilman.exe d:\windows\system32\utilman.exe
You're back in the computer! It's safe, and all of data won't be removed unless you use System Restore option in the System Recovery Options screen.
The Bottom Line
Hopefully, one of the solutions above will get the Windows 7 login password cracked, and get you onto the desktop! Additionally, creating a password reset disk will offer valuable piece of mind in case you forgot the password and lose access to the computer.